“What’s that noise?”
It started when your heater kicked on this morning and just seems to be getting worse. Well, the truth is that your heater may be the source of the sound. As a heater undergoes regular wear and tear it can start to show signs of stress. This includes developing odd noises during operation.
If your heating system has started to create concerning noises while it is running, it may be time to schedule a heating repair in Charleston, SC. Even if the noise turns out to be something more minor, it is always best to take care of your system before things worsen. It saves time and money in the long run!
5 Noises You Don’t Want Your Heater To Make
Have a noisy heater? Don’t just let things get worse! Reach out to a professional HVAC technician today for repairs if you hear the following sounds from your heater:
- Hissing: Have a heater that is making a hissing sound? This isn’t the same as the whoosh of air you should expect from your system. In a heat pump, hissing might indicate a leak in the refrigerant line. In a furnace, hissing may be a sign of a gas leak. In either case, you are better off shutting the system down to prevent added trouble and getting a technician to check things out.
- Rattling: Maybe it sounds like something is shaking around in your heating system. Chances are that you’re right on the mark with this! Rattling usually indicates a heater with a loose part that is shaking in its housing during operation. Get this identified and fixed soon before it comes free and causes bigger problems.
- Shrieking: When you turn on your heater maybe it sounds like it is screaming at you. That isn’t right! When you are likely hearing is a problem in the system that is allowing metal to scrape against metal. This can be caused by a loose fan blade or even a dry motor belt.
- Booming: Another concerning sound to hear is booming. In a heat pump, this may be a sign of an oversized system putting strain on the ductwork. In a furnace, it can also be a sign of an oversized system or it can be a sign of delayed ignition.
- Silence: Do you have a furnace that is so quiet you don’t even think it is working. Well…sadly, if your furnace is silent, then it is actually likely that it really isn’t running at all. This is an obvious need for repairs before you need a full replacement.
Sounds aren’t the only warning signs of the trouble of course. Odd smells, poor heating, high bills, and other indicators may alert you to the presence of a problem in your heater. No matter what the warning sign is, however, you should always have the same response: call in the professionals!
Contact the experts at Holy City Heating & Air to schedule your heating system repair. We provide solutions for every season.