Whether you have been enjoying the weather we’ve been getting in Charleston or not, you should want to make sure that, in the event of a big heatwave, your heat pump is going to be able to keep you cool. Having a heat pump means you have a great resource for year-round comfort but that only applies as long as the system is working correctly.
If you haven’t run your system yet this summer or you have been trying to ignore the fact that something about your heat pump feels off, you should probably take the time to check on a few things. After all, the last thing you want is to discover you need a heat pump repair in the middle of a week with sweltering temperatures.
Signs Your Heat Pump Needs Repairs
Having a malfunctioning heat pump in the middle of a heatwave is a bane to your comfort and your energy bills. Keep an eye out for any of these warning signs so you know when to contact us for repair services:
- There is no cool air: This is often the most noticeable sign that people pick up on. If your heat pump isn’t producing any cool air, or, worse, is blowing out warm air, you should get a repair service scheduled ASAP. This could be due to a stuck reversing valve or a refrigerant leak.
- The airflow is weak: Let’s say your heat pump is producing cool air but it is barely noticeable because the airflow from the handlers is weak. This is another problem that needs repairs sooner than later. You might have a clogged filter or a malfunctioning blower fan.
- Your heat pump is noisy: Heat pumps are usually able to run without making noise. This means that when they start to emit strange sounds it should put you on the alert. Rattling, hissing, screeching and other noises are all bad news.
- The system is short cycling: A cooling cycle is meant to last around 15 minutes long. If your heat pump kicks on only to shut down again in under 10 minutes, it could be short cycling which is harmful to your AC system and your overall comfort.
- Your energy bills are too high: A little change in your monthly energy dues is normal at the beginning of summer; huge spikes are not. If you see large increases in your energy use on your monthly bill, it means your AC system is having trouble doing its job.
Trust Us With Your Repairs
If you pick up on one or more of the warning signs listed above, it means you need to schedule repairs for your heat pump in the near future. Make sure you only trust a professional technician to handle this job though; an amateur or a DIY attempt is likely to cause a full breakdown before it resolves the issue.
Contact Holy City Heating and Air, LLC to schedule your professional repairs. We provide solutions for every season.
Also Read: Beat The Heat This Summer With These Tips